Thursday, October 7, 2010

Elusive Mole-brown dyer's moss

After a bit of fishing I decided to get serious about locating the harvesting site with Mole-Brown Dyer's Moss.  The fishing was a wash in the Gridania area.  I'll be able to make crayfish balls out of the crayfish.  Not so sure what to do with the Dart Frogs...  (/me goes to look at the yellow gremlin site)... Ah, level 21 alchemy.  Well that will be a while so might as well vendor trash em or river sand them.  My shard reserve will determine which.

The salmon will get vendor trashed.  No choice there.  Unfortunately until further storage becomes available it is unrealistic to go after cooking ingredients.  They are just too varied and spread over too much area.  Single recipes usually have 5-8 ingredients and the source is multiple areas and for some of the ingredients, multiple disciplines (alchemy for the flowers and oils for example).  This makes the gathering for food storage intensive.  Mainly because when you go to any particular area you'll get resources for multiple un-related recipes.  Then you'll head over to an other area to get more resources.  Again they'll push various recipes forward but you still won't have everything.  Then you'll hit a 3rd area (or more) and finally start completing the various recipes.  This is storage intensive.  This is compounded by the limited number of slots the vendor system allows each player.  Which means we will be seeing few volume merchants.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the Asian market models used in MMOs is based on a pining for yesteryear of the small markets where individual vendors had few wears each.  Unfortunately this makes for a very in-efficient market in which RMT can thrive.  If there's one thing EVE taught me it was that to have a truly efficient market, there must be a large number of long term sales slots per player, plentiful storage and the market must allow for the efficient finding and trading between players.  Without the above FFXIV's economy will never truly take off.  But EVE also taught me not to play the game I wish I was in, but to play the game I'm in.

But enough bemoaning the lack of storage or sales slots.  Having no luck with finding any Dark Bass, and having read that it's actually located in the Ul'dah area, I decided to continue my quest for the last missing hemp dye moss.  What followed was an evening where although I didn't get the moss yet, I did identify which harvesting site yielded it, and I also nailed 3 of the Grade 2 harvesting sites.  Now I know where 2 of the grade 2 harvesting sites are in the Limsa area.  3 in Ul'dah and now 3 again in Gridania.  I'm beginning to suspect that there are 3 grade 2 harvesting sites in each Grade 2 zone.  I've also empirically established that the harvesting zones are in a rather limited geographic area.  Once someone publishes harvesting maps I think it will become blindingly obvious where the areas are.

So all I need to do now is just be patient, cycle some sites and get the moss tonight.  Then do local guildleves.  Then onto Ul'dah to see if I can nail that some Dark Bass.  As you can see, I hit physical level 26 and Botany 12 with all that harvesting/logging.

Physical: 26, Hand to hand: 8, Sword: 11, Axe: 8, Archery: 6, Polearm: 8, Shield: 4, Thaumaturgy: 8, Conjury: 6, Woodworking: 10, Smithing:11 , Armorcraft: 11, Goldsmithing: 10, Leatherworking: 11, Clothcraft: 12, Alchemy: 11, Cooking 11, Mining: 11, Botany: 12, Fishing: 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment