Thursday, September 30, 2010

Right before the Tsunami

As I write this, new players are flooding into Eorzea.  That's right it's the 30th.  Live day for the full version.  I fully expect the starting zones to be un-playable for a bit.  But oh well.

Some acquisitions:  A shield allowed me to unlock the sentinel "job" in the sense that I can now equip shields with my one hand weapon users and allow them to tank better.  I managed to get Lancer back up to 8, Archer to 6 farming sheep.  Then it was off working on various things.  I got some more clothes made and managed to get both leathercrafting and clothcrafting up to 11.  Amusingly I also managed to replace my skillet with a non-starter skillet.  I'm noticing that there will be a few bottlenecks in the upcoming plans.  I managed to get Botany up to 10.  This also yielded my first dye moss (5 lead-greys).  However to actually make the dye I need to get my alchemy up around 15 (it's at 9) and to do that I want to upgrade my alembic.  This however is being held back by my armorcrafting (need Brass Rivets) also at 9.

So the plan is:  Get armorcrafting up by any means necessary (guildleves and targeted crafting), Then get alchemy up.  A more long term problem is the problem of fish glue.  I can get the sea cucumbers without a problem (saltwater worm in the Limsa area grade 1 or grade 2 spearfishing have both yeilded sea cucumbers).  The problem is the bass.  That's either a grade 2 or grade 3 fish so I need to get my fishing seriously worked on as well.  Fun.

One thing I have discovered while harvesting.  One starts out getting 5 tries at grade 1 sites.  Eventually this is upped to 6.  Grade 2 sites start off at 3 tries per site.  Grade 2 Logging/Mining sites upgrade to 4 tries at level 9.  Grade 2 Harvesting/Quarrying sites upgrade at 10.  Grade 2 Harvesting sites yield the dye base materials for clothcrafting and grade 2 Quarrying sites yield the dye base materials for leather crafting.  Another thing I've discovered is the "3 site reset" phenomenon of crafting.  Basically this is if you hit a site and "exhaust" it (not make it disappear - that's something else), you need to hit 2 more different sites and you're access will "reset" and you'll be able to harvest from it again.  The type of resources site seems to have no impact on this.  So what I was doing was logging->logging->harvesting->logging->logging->harvesting.  Now grade 2 logging sites will eventually move on you (luckly there's a handy dandy "find the closest" action).  But so far once you find a harvesting site, it seems to be permanent.  I'll see if this holds true for my mining as well.  It should.  So quarry, hit 2 sites, back to quarry should allow me to get some dye bugs for leathercrafting as well.

An other thing:  To all he cheap bastards who are crafting in their undies, you realize of course that certain clothes have crafting bonuses?...  Twits.

Note to self: make non-beige undies for self (crap - need to get armorcrafting and alchemy up first...).

I'm getting the impression that once I hit 15 on all major crafts I will finally be able to retrofit all my equipment at least to level 6-10 equipment.  So far this consists of the weaving needle and the culinarian skillet.  Oh and the shield since there is no starter shield.

Oh and incidentally?  Having only 1 flunky?  When doing all crafts?  SUCKS!  I've been vendoring stuff I make to make place because it doesn't sell fast enough in a bazaar...  Also, anyone have an idea on how to "level up" your flunky?

Physical: 22, Hand to hand: 8, Sword: 8, Axe: 8, Archery: 6, Polearm: 8, Shield: 2, Thaumaturgy: 8, Conjury: 1, Woodworking: 8, Smithing: 9, Armorcraft: 9, Goldsmithing: 6, Leatherworking: 11, Clothcraft: 11, Alchemy: 9, Cooking 5, Mining: 9, Botany: 10, Fishing: 3

2 comments:

  1. you get one free NPC to act as extra storage and offline bazaar in the bazaar wards (although if you do that he becomes less globally accessible). The NPC is level 1 (although we have not found out how to level him/her) and has an 80 slot inventory (which you would think would be enough .... wrong). Basically you get a flunky. We were supposed to be able to have more but so far that feature has not been activated....

    ReplyDelete