Thursday, September 23, 2010

A new start

Well after much waiting the official head start for FFXIV finally happened.  And I managed to get in game and create a character.  No guarantees for some of my future guild mates as SE seems to be throttling various worlds that are suffering from overcrowding.  So here I am on the Selbina server.

Letrange Strangeone


So I learned much in the beta.  But this is the live.  So I go through character generation again.  This time I decide to start at Limsa Lominsa as a Gladiator.  I would be crafting but this starts me off with a decent weapon to go out and harvest materials I will be going thru in massive amounts.  The location choice was mainly due to the proximity of sheep.  One thing I learned in Beta is that crafting (of which I will be doing a LOT) is rather wind and earth shard intensive at the start.  However there are few mobs that dropped wind shards in the early levels....  Therefore: Sheep.  Lots of sheep.

But, we don't start out with sheep.  We start out with getting in the linkshell.  Like many ex-FFXI players there were players I knew that would be playing.  Therefore there was a pre-arranged linkshell to join once I was in game.  So I got my client installed and updated.  My character created and my world chosen.  Then it was off to start the main quest line.

Right after I had barely started that (mainly for the startup gil and the skill) I heard that the linkshell had formed and it was off to get my linkpearl.

Hokuten

Lo, and the linkshell was started.  Jonel there is the LS leader.  So with my LS in place it was time to finish up the first quest line and then get over to the area with the sheep.

The first quest line gives you about 10k gil and gets you to level 2 in your profession (if you are not a crafter to start) and level 3 physical.  Which is fine but not quite enough to go after sheep out of the box.  So I headed over to the sheep area.  Holy cow is that camped.  The few sheep that managed to last longer than 30 seconds showed as "Red" to me.  So the first targets were Rats

Rats

I did this until I was Physical level 5 Gladiator 5 then it was off to the sheep

Sheep

So, I ended the first two sessions with a good supply of shards of all types and a preponderance of the two types I'll be going through the most at the start.

Incidentally no guildleves yet as I want to use this head start on the crystals to sell off some materials and buy all the rest of my starting equipment.  There is methods to my madness.  Honest.  10k is not enough to start all the jobs nor is it enough to start all the crafts.  So drops to finance that while targeting the mobs I need for the right shards.  The problem with leves is that you don't always have a large choice of target mobs and the ones you may want to concentrate on may not be available.  So That's why I started with rats and sheep in an out of the way place that is way overcrowded by ex-beta players.  Ah well can't have everything.

Anyways, welcome to my FFXI blog and we'll be following my adventures in Eorzea.

End of the first two sessions:
Phy: 6, Gld: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment