Monday, September 27, 2010

The broad base

This weekend consisted mainly of laying the foundation for the push past 10 of a lot of jobs this week.  I'm finding that the selection of local guildleves of the appropriate level is a little lacking.  On the flip side they are great for getting a craft off the ground and also for getting over certain "humps".  The biggest hump for all crafts seems to be that the materials for most low level synths are not themselves very low level and there are few "starter" synths.  The breakpoint seems to be around rank 9-10.  All of a sudden the major materials for a lot of low level synths seem to unlock themselves.

For example I used guildleves to get to level 5-6 or so in both carpentry and leathercrafting.  Then with some concentrated botanist work (that got botany up to 6) I harvested 3 willow logs and 9 maple logs.  The 3 willow logs gave me 48 willow chips (there was an HQ of one of the synths).  The maple allowed me to get a reserve of maple lumber and maple planks.  I used the maple lumber to make some parts for future crafting although inventory issues forced me to put these up on the bazaar.  This got my woodworking to 8.  Then I used the wood chips and the reserve of sheepskins I had accumulated to craft my entire reserve of sheepskins into sheep leather and some of that into sheep leather straps and sheep leather spetches.  The spetches were especially welcome as I have 3 pieces of equipment that are repared by sheep leather spetches.  I now have 5 stacks of sheep leather ready to rock.  A stack of 99 spetches and 50 odd straps.  And I put 50 spetches up on sale in the bazaar.  All this leather work rocketed my leathercrafting up to 9.  But then I noticed a tonne of recipies that needed materials from other disciplines that were not quite ready.

So I proceeded to buy some muddy water.  Between a stack of muddy water alone (to kick start my alchemy) and a 2nd stack, some of my reserve of bone chips (I still have over 2 stacks) and some incidental milling (chalk and rye flour) I was able to kick start alchemy and get over 140 animal glue (kept stack of 99, put overflow on bazaar for relatively cheap but sufficient to cover my muddy water expenses).

The next part was a serious mining kick.  This brought in a nice reserve of copper ore and some materials that allowed me to kick start my goldsmithing just a bit.  It's a good thing certain combat guildleves reward you with fire crystals.  Not to mention the occasional rat rewards you with 2 fire crystals at a time.  Unfortunately I blew through my reserve of tin.  I'm going to need to spend some time in the Ul'dah area this week mining.  Apparently tin is plentiful over that way.  This allowed me to make a reserve of copper nuggets, make some copper squares, add to my existing bronze nugget stash and have plenty of left over copper ore for when I get the tin.  The problem I am faced with is that I will need to do quite a bit of copper synthing to get over a hump in armorcrafting.  I have plenty of stuff that unlocks arround level 9-11 when I can start doing bronze squares and bronze plates.

All this synthing however left my reserves of water, wind and lightning shards rather destitute.  All 3 were down in the single digit range.  Also down to 3 fire crystals.  Guess what this looks like?  You guessed it.  Sheep.  Lots of sheep.  So Sunday evening was spent mostly over in the area of La Noscea that has all those sheep and that Goobue to dodge.  I have been developing a pattern for this camp that depends on the job I'm killing things with.  Basically I have been running each combat and casting job up to 8 grinding mobs in this area.  And oh lord how I plan to be beyond this area come the 30th.  It's going to be way way way over camped (lucky Puks seem to also be wind so they will do nicely as a substitute - I don't actually need the sheep leather any more - and marmots should substitute as a source of gil and moko grass).

At any rate the pattern is as follows:  Choose new job.  Kill Wharf Rats until level 4 (updating job change macros as you go).  Switch to Lost Wether/Ewe/Lamb until you hit level 8.  This gets me consistent drops of all crystals with double the amount of wind and earth.  I also seem to be lucky with the fire crystal drops (or it's intentional by SE) so I have a sufficiency for my smelting jobs.  Once I hit 8, I pick the next job and start the pattern over again.  I now have Marauder, Thaumaturge and Lancer all at 8.  This should give you an idea of exactly how much grinding I did in this area.  I stuck it out here until my wind crystals had recovered to over 200.  I'll be burning thru those with the upcoming push in weaving.  Guildlevel push also allowed me to get Culinarian up off the ground.  I also made myself a pair of Straw Hats (blew 2 up - but hey, that happens).  One to wear and one to put on the bazaar.  If I can get armor crafting up above 9 in the next stint, I should have enough material reserves to see me clear into cloth, leather and shoe production.  Which will allow me to finally ditch my starter togs (I've kept them way too long).  So hopefully the next portrait should see me looking nattier.



At the end of the weekend:

Physical: 18, Gladiator: 8, Pugilist: 8, Marauder: 8, Lancer: 8, Archer 1, Thaumaturge: 8, Conjurer: 1, Carpenter: 8, Blacksmith: 8, Armorer: 6, Goldsmith: 4, Tanner: 8, Weaver: 9, Alchemist: 7, Cooking 4, Miner: 9, Botanist: 6, Fisher: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment